Dance Church at Prema Yoga BrooklynBrooklyn
What to know:
Dance Church® is an all-levels movement class taught by professional dance artists that offers a fun and inclusive approach to dancing. Designed for people of all shapes and sizes, backgrounds and identities, Dance Church is a communal space for people who want to move their bodies. The teacher leads this 70ish minute class in a series of movement cues, accompanied by a curated playlist of multi-genre pop music. The format is open but guided throughout. No prior dance experience necessary, but open mindedness is a prerequisite. Dance Church classes are offered in dance spaces across the country. Our mission is to bring the joy and release of dance to every body, while supporting dance artists and partner organizations, and making connections between class takers and the dance world.
- Arrive 5-15 minutes before class, no late entry permitted
- Teachers lead classes from the center of the space and we change our facing often
- We like our music loud, and the tempo is upbeat and energetic
- When you cannot hear or see the teacher, let other class takers be your guide
- No talking allowed, but singing is highly encouraged
- We move through various actions and coordinations throughout class, there is no learning choreography
- At times we move around the space, we go down to the floor and we hold hands briefly
- You can always modify as you need — go bigger, smaller, faster, slower as you please
- When in doubt, just dance.
What should I bring?
- Clothing that you’re comfortable moving and sweating in
- We recommend taking class barefoot or in socks
- Clean studio sneakers allowed if you have a personal need, please be mindful.
- Water bottle (note*** this space does not have a water fountain. Water bottles are available for purchase or you may use the bathroom sink to fill your personal water bottle)
- Face mask (optional)
- Earplugs (optional, available upon request)
Prema Yoga Brooklyn has a staircase down to the studio. An elevator down to the studio level can be accessed through the residential building next door. Please notify us 48 hours prior if needing access to the elevator.
Street parking is metered until 7pm. Transit is the A/C train to the Clinton/Washington stop with a short walk to the studio.
Local favorites for your #postclassritual:
Sisters Otway Harts
Safer Space Policy
Dance Church is a space for every body. We have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind.
Late Entry Policy
Check-in begins 15 minutes before your scheduled class time and we recommend arriving at least 5 minutes prior to the start of class to ensure a smooth check-in. After class has started, Dance Church will deny entry to new entrants.
All purchases of tickets for In-Studio Classes are non-refundable after 9pm the day prior to your scheduled class. Unlimited Members who cancel after 9pm the day prior to your scheduled class or if you do not show up will be charged a $5 fee. Dance Church is not able to exchange your ticket for another class if you cancel your reservation.
We want every body to be able to experience Dance Church! If you or anyone you know are facing any financial hurdles to joining our classes please check out our two special offerings for our Dance Church community! Dance Artist Memberships Subsidized Membership
Consider becoming a Supporter to help fund the subsidized memberships, as well as other Dance Church programming!